The Penn Humanities Forum offers fellowships each year to Penn undergraduate students interested in conducting extracurricular research in the humanities on some aspect of PHF's annual theme. Students must be full time and in good academic standing.
Fellows become members of the Undergraduate Humanities Forum, a community of fellow undergrads who meet biweekly to discuss and present their research, pursue various cultural activities of common interest, and occasionally meet in special receptions with PHF's distinguished speakers. In the past, these speakers have included Zadie Smith, Michelle Alexander, Junot Diaz, Slavoj Žižek,and Michael Gordin. The year's program culminates in a spring conference at which students give formal presentations on the results of their research.
The annual call for applications opens each November and closes in mid-March.
Call for Applications, 2015–2016
Research Topic: Sex
Application deadline: March 20, 2015, 11:59 pm EST
The Penn Humanities Forum is offering 12 fellowships for the 2015–2016 academic year for Penn undergraduates from any school who are interested in conducting research on some aspect of SEX, the Forum's theme that year. Applicants must be full time and in good academic standing. Awards are available in three categories:
- Research Fellowship and Undergraduate Chair: One (1) $2000 award
- Research Fellowship and Member, Executive Board: Two (2) $1750 awards
- Research Fellowships: Nine (9) $1500 awards
TO APPLY: What's needed? Your completed application, unofficial transcript, and one letter of recommendation from your undergraduate chair or standing faculty member in your major.
- Application (download here): Please save your file as a PDF and name it LastName_FirstName.pdf
- Transcript: Please include an unofficial copy of your Penn transcript as the last page of your application.
- Letter of Recommendation: We require one confidential letter of recommendation. Please ask your referee to upload that letter here no later than March 20, 2015. Letters should not be emailed.